FAQ: Alaska Cruisetours
There's nothing else like it in the world, an Alaska cruise tour with Princess Cruises. From the incredible glaciers and charming Inside Passage towns of your voyage, to stays in dramatic Princess wilderness lodges at Denali National Park and beyond, it's certain to be the land-and-sea adventure you've always dreamed of.
Below is supplemental information for the land portion of your cruise tour.
Click on a topic headline to view detailed information relating to your selection.
Note: This information was accurate at time of publication, but may have changed since then. You should visit www.princess.com for any revisions, changes, deletions or updates to these FAQ.
Alaska Cruisetours : What You Need To Know Before You Go!
On Land in Alaska
Pre-Reserve Land Excursions
What to Bring
Alaska is very casual both in the evenings, as well as the day. Casual, active sportswear is the best option, as you will likely be enjoying tours and activities outdoors. You'll want comfortable clothes and good walking shoes, and the ability to be layered for everything from sunny afternoons to chilly nights. As the weather can be unpredictable, a warm jacket is advisable.
Here is a brief listing of suggested items:
- Water repellent coat or jacket
- Rain hat
- Comfortable walking shoes or sneakers
- Lightweight windbreaker
- Pants or shorts
- Warm coat (temperatures can get lower in the evening)
- Same attire as worn during the day - casual
Other Recommended Items
- Travel alarm clock
- Insect repellent
- Car seat for those traveling with children
- US National Parks pass (not required)
- Collapsible umbrella
All Princess cruisetours include our hassle-free luggage handling service every step of the way. During the land portion of your vacation, we'll take care of transporting your luggage from one location to the next.
Important luggage reminders:
- Essential medicines, travel documents, valuables and breakables should be hand carried in your possession at all times.
- All Alaska luggage tags for the land portion of your cruisetour will be distributed by Princess Representatives in Alaska. Luggage tags for the cruise portion of your cruisetour should be printed prior to leaving home.
- Luggage fees imposed by airlines are the responsibility of each guest. Please check with each carrier prior to departure for specific guidelines.
- Many domestic airline carriers now impose baggage fees for one or more bags and bags weighing over 50 lbs., so check with your carrier regarding weight restrictions.
- Princess will make every effort to assist you in safeguarding your belongings. But remember, you are responsible for your things at all times. Princess is not responsible for money, jewelry, cameras, binoculars, documents or any other articles you retain in your personal control.
- All luggage should have a sturdy personal identification tag that will not be lost or damaged in the course of typical airport and trucked luggage handling.
- On journeys including air travel, luggage will be subject to a considerable amount of handling and we would recommend that your luggage be of sturdy construction.
- Princess recommends that your travel protection is adequate enough to cover any possible loss or damage which may occur. Any loss or damage caused by Princess or an airline must be reported immediately to the responsible party.
- For guests who have purchased an Air Advantage package, please refer to your detailed itinerary found in the Cruise Personalizer® for additional details regarding luggage.
Packing for your
Cruisetours involve many modes of transportation including motorcoaches, trains and sightseeing vehicles so make sure you take only the things you need to ensure comfort for you and your fellow travelers. There are different types of bags to consider for the land portion of your cruisetour.
- You'll want this bag with you every step of the way, so include only the essentials.
- Items to pack in this bag include travel documents, photo ID, important medication, toiletries, camera, and any extra layers of clothing such as jackets or hats.
- Your hand-carry tote bag should be a size that is comfortable to carry and should be able to be stowed under your seat. We recommend soft-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17" x 14" x 4" with a zip enclosure.
- Wheeled carry on cases that are used to carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains.
"Join Me Tonight"
You are allowed one piece of "Join Me Tonight" baggage per person on the land portion of your cruisetour. You will simply pack one bag and place luggage where instructed. Our handlers will pick it up and deliver it to your room at the next overnight location on your land tour.
- This bag will be transported separately from you and will not be accessible during transit.
- Items to put in this bag include clothing, sleepwear, nonessential toiletries, extra shoes and anything else you might need at your hotel but do not need access to during the day.
"Join Me Onboard" Luggage (for guests who cruise after their land tour)
- Guests who cruise after their land tour should pack a separate bag for items they will not need on land.
- This bag is perfect for the items you may need on your cruise but will not need on your land tour, such as formal wear, dress shoes, or dinner jackets. On the land portion of your cruisetour, the dress code is always casual so there is no need for any formal wear.
- All luggage is delivered to the first destination on your land itinerary. Upon departure from that city, the "Join Me Onboard" tagged bags will be securely stored until they are delivered to your stateroom onboard.
"Join Me in Fairbanks/Anchorage" Luggage (for guests who cruise prior to their land tour)
- Guests who cruise prior to their land tour should pack all the items they used on their cruise and will not need on land in this piece of luggage. After disembarkation from the ship, these bags will be inaccessible until delivered upon your arrival in the final destination of your itinerary.
- Please identify your chosen pieces of luggage (excluding the one "Join Me Tonight" bag) with the "Join Me" tags based on your final destination.